Tuesday 25 September 2012

Can you buy adult stabilisers?

So as some people may or may not be aware of I have set myself a challenge. A personal challenge but with a charitable aspect. I am going to do a charity cycle next year. I have not decided what cycle or which charity(suggestions welcome). Because for me, the biggest challenge is the first step.
And this first and probably the most important step is to learn to ride a bike. Without this step the challenge will fail, obviously. So at the age of 25 I am going to learn to ride a bike. I will try to answer most of the questions that you may be thinking; like 'Are you serious?' or 'Are you for real?' or 'You're joking, right?' 
To answer them; Yes,Yes and No. 
But its not as simple as; I just haven't learnt or my childhood was some dark,dreary, can't afford a bike sort of ordeal. The problem with me is that I'm afraid. I genuinely am scared of the concept of riding a bike. And not just bikes but being in control of any vehicle. Public transport and my own two feet have stood the test of time for me.
It may sound silly, I am aware of this, but it is real. 
So hence why deciding to do a charity cycle is such a challenge. Not only must I get get fit and train for a cycle but I must face what seems to be my only fear. 
Why now though? I say why not, everyone needs a challenge. Do something that scares you and if the end goal is to benefit others then the push to do so is greater. 
So my oldest friends, the friends I hung out with when we were young, have decided that they shall take it upon themselves to complete the task of teaching me to cycle. The reason that they are so adamant in doing so is because they have been saying they were going to teach me for years. Every year I would outright refuse it happening.
So it gives them great pleasure to be the ones to pop my stabilisers on and see me ride into the sunset. And laugh when they come off and I fall. And probably find it hilarious when I start to panic when I actually have to get on the damned bicycle. We shall be doing this on grass, with lots of padding and a box of xanax. And they want to film it.
What I have let myself in for....

No comments:

Post a Comment